Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Brainstorm #1

I'm more than sure I'm not the only one who's sick of Sonic Team (ST) running the Sonic show. Basically a bunch of old Sega producers with old washed up ideas and running off of old, 1980's run-of-the-mill cliches. I feel its the Moderator who holds this key to a great Sonic game, and that Moderator is Us! Perhaps in past recent events, we've made our own custom sonic-like characters. Maybe even, we've written our own fanfiction. But yet have we to create that which the Sonic genre has platformed - a game.

And currently i have a game-idea brewing in my mind.


At first i was speculating how to make a really good single player adventure game for Sonic; that idea still rests. Then I began to think about an online multiplayer experience, a TC mod for half-life 2; well someone thought of that before i did, and I'm helping the project along too! Then I begin to think of Sonic not-as-usual, but in a more extreme way. Looking at the simple elements of which make up Sonic; Why is Sonic fast? What does he need speed for? Why does he need to think and act fast? What's the rush? - is basically what i ask myself. Then I see these awesome games like Zone Of The Ender, MGS, Virtual ON, you know - those non-babified games that our parents used to hassle us about? Well what's great about these games is the ample use of speed, reflex, and pure wit.
What if we put all these elements into a game and created an experience unlike any other?
That plan is what this brainstorm should help accomplish.

--
ok, im going to ignore grammar for this part. it's where my brain gets deep-fried.

so we have a platform. lets call this engine blue ball and floor, because that's all there is in the game. i know, it's not much, but we develop on this. plus, using a ball is more practical, because the player doesn't spend much of the game standing vertically. instead, it's more of the opposite; bouncing off of walls and such.





No comments: